Easy to make December Reading Pointers

My son inspired me to make these December Reading Pointers. He's in Kindergarten this year and learning how to read. It's so exciting! 

At home, I noticed he sometimes skips a word or moves to the other side of the page too fast. So, I thought a fun pointer would come in handy! It will help him to track as he reads. Tracking means your eyes work to follow the line of the print from the left side to the right side. Once he becomes proficient at tracking, he won't need his finger or his pointer. 

You'll need 3 things: red and green popsicle sticks, googly eyes, and a hot glue gun. 


Simply, glue a googly eye to the end of the popsicle stick. Voila! You have a Reading Pointer! 


Now, have your child point to each word as he/she reads or you read. Grab a family favorite book and read together! 


My son really likes his pointer! I ended up making a class set for his Kindergarten teacher with the extra sticks. They're also great class stocking stuffers and perfect for your December Guided Reading groups. Happy Reading! 

Comments