Cereal-ously, it's Back to School!

About a week before school started, I asked my son if he was excited to head back to class. He shared that he was but, it was also a bummer summer was coming to an end. My son told me that he was going to miss playing with his friends the most. I appreciated his honesty and it made total sense to me. 

I left the conversation wondering what I could do to end the summer with an exclamation mark. It couldn't involve spending a lot of money because we just bought school supplies, new shoes, and backpacks. So, I decided to look for some ideas on Pinterest. 

I came across a baby shower pin and the mother-to-be had a cereal bar because she craved cereal throughout her pregnancy. The cereal bar was adorable. Then, it struck me. It would be perfect to do a cereal bar right before school. It wouldn't cost too much money and my kids could hang out with their friends one last time. This was the exclamation mark I was looking for!

My goal for decorations and food was to spend as little money as possible. In fact, I only wanted to spend money on cereal and milk. This meant I had to be creative and use what I have. I mixed decorations from work with things from my home. I set up 3 wood crates for the bar and I put 3 different cereals into glass penny jars. You can find these penny jars at Walmart for about $5. I put milk into a vintage glass milk jug from Target. Don't you just love the Dollar Spot at Target?

I picked up brown packaging paper from the Dollar Tree and covered the table. So cheap and it's easy clean up! I placed a globe in the center of the table from my office and left piles of crayons for the kids to draw on the table. 

The treat bags were simple. I used brown paper lunch sacks and name tag stickers. Each treat bag contained goldfish crackers and markers. 

The Cereal-ously, it's Back to School party was a hit! The kids loved making their own bowl of cereal. All the kids got a kick out mixing the cereals together. The parents enjoyed it. Who doesn't love cereal?

I spent about $15 for this last minute party. Cereal goes a long way and can definitely feed a crowd. There were 7 kids and 6 adults. Not bad! Reusing decorations saves you lots of money. One of the moms shared that she plans to do a cereal bar for her toddler's birthday party after seeing how fun and easy this party was. I was really happy about that and offered to share the penny jars, milk jug, and crates with her. That's the spirit of a hostess! Share your things, so that others can make memories! I just love that.





My son thanked me for the party and my daughter had the biggest smile on her face. It was such a great ending to our summer!  

Hope this cereal bar inspires you for your next party.

Comments